Humorale ImmunregulationProf. Dr. Hiromi Kubagawa
Prof. Dr. Hiromi Kubagawa
CV - Akademischer Werdegang und Schlüsselpublikationen (nur auf Englisch verfügbar)
I have been involved in studies of immunoglobulin (Ig) Fc receptors for more than 30 years, initially performing cellular and biochemical analyses and then molecular studies. The major scientific contributions that my colleagues and I have made in this area include as follows.
(i) First demonstration of the expression and biochemical nature of IgA Fc receptor (FcαR/CD89) by myeloid cells, but not by lymphocytes. (ii) Definition of Fc receptor for polymeric IgA and IgM (Fcα/µR) as a remarkably stable homodimer expressed on the surface of follicular dendritic, but not B, cells. (iii) First genetic identification of the long-elusive FcµR by functional cloning. Other significant contributions are as follows. (i) Extensive analyses of the extent of clonal involvement in various B cell malignancies through the use of individually specific (idiotype) antibodies; studies demonstrating the precursor and post-isotype switch members of the neoplastic clones do not manifest malignant growth behavior. (ii) Analysis of Ig gene rearrangements and expression in human precursor B cells transformed by Epstein-Barr virus; study establishing that Ig light chain expression could occur before Ig heavy chain gene rearrangements. (iii) Identification of paire Ig-like receptors of activating (PIR-A) and inhibitory (PIR-B) isoforms expressed by B lymphocytes and myeloid cells in rodents on the basis of their limited homology with the human FcαR.
- Since 2015 Guest Senior Scientist, Humoral Immune Regulation, DRFZ, Berlin
- Since 2014 Adjunct Professor, Dept. of Pathology, University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB), Birmingham, Alabama (AL)
- 2006 – 2014 Professor, Dept. of Pathology, UAB, Birmingham, AL
- 2000 – 2006 Research Professor, Dept. of Pathology, DDCI, UAB, Birmingham, AL
- 1986 – 2000 Associate Professor, Dept. of Pathology, Division of Developmental and Clinical Immunology (DDCI), UAB, Birmingham, AL
- 1986 – 2014 Scientist, Comprehensive Cancer Center, UAB, Birmingham, AL
- 1986 – 1987 Visiting Scientist, Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- 1983 – 1986 Assistant Professor, Dept. of Pathology, CIU, UAB, Birmingham, AL
- 1976 – 1982 Research Associate, Cellular Immunobiology Unit (CIU), UAB, Birmingham, AL
- 1975 – 1976 Research Associate, Dept. of Pathology, Faculty of Med., Kyoto University, Kyoto
- 1971 – 1974 Assistant Lecturer, Dept. of Pathology, Sch. of Med. , Nihon University, Tokyo
- 1971 M.D., Juntendo University, School of Medicine (Med. License: No. 225016)
- Frontier Immunology
- American Research Journal of Immunology
- Journal of Immunology Innovation
- Journal of Immune Research
- American Association of Immunologists, since 1984
- 2012 – 2014 R21 AI094625 (NIH/NIAID), Kubagawa (PI), “IgM Fc receptor in CLL”
- 2010 – 2012 R56 AI082249 (NIH/NIAID), Kubagawa (PI), “Studies of Structure and Function of an Fc Receptor for IgM”
- 1998 – 2011 RO1 AI042127 (NIH/NIAID), Kubagawa (PI), “Studies of Paired Immunoglobulin-Like Receptors”
- Skopnik, C.M., Al-Qaisi, K., Calvert, R.A., Enghard, P., Radbruch, A., Sutton, B.J., and Kubagawa, H.: Identification of amino acid residues in human IgM Fc receptor (FcµR) critical for IgM binding. Front. Immunol. 11:618327, 2021.
- Kubagawa, H., Honjo, K., Ohkura, N., Sakaguchi, S., Radbruch, A., Melchers, F., and Jani, P.K.: Functional roles of the IgM Fc receptor in the immune system. Front. Immunol. 10:945, 2019.
- Honjo, H., Kubagawa, Y., Kearney, J.F., and Kubagawa, H.: Unique ligand-binding property of IgM Fc receptor. J. Immunol. 194: 1975-1982, 2015.
- Li, F.J., Kubagawa, Y., McCollum, M.K., Wilson, L., Motohashi, T., Bertoli, L.F., Barton, J.C., Barnes, S., Davis, R.S., and Kubagawa, H.: Enhanced levels of both membrane-bound and soluble forms of IgM Fc receptor (FcµR) in patients with chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Blood 118: 4902-4909, 2011.
- Kubagawa, H., Oka, S., Kubagawa, Y., Torii, I., Takayama, E., Kang, D.W., Gartland, G.L., Bertoli, L.F., Mori, H., Takatsu, H., Kitamura, T., Ohno, H., and Wang, J.Y.: Identity of the elusive IgM Fc receptor (FcµR) in humans. J. Exp. Med. 206:2779-2793, 2009.
- Uehara, T., Bléry, M., Kang, D.W., Chen, C.C., Ho, L.L., Gartland, G.L., Liu, F.T., Vivier, E., Cooper, M.D., and Kubagawa, H.: Inhibition of IgE-mediated mast cell activation by the paired immunoglobulin-like receptor PIR-B. J. Clin. Invest. 108:1041-1050, 2001.
- Smith, P.D., Mosteller-Barnum, M., Smythies, L.E., Sibley, D.A., Russell, M.W., Merger, M., Graham, M.F., Shimada, T., and Kubagawa, H.: Intestinal macrophages lack CD14 and CD89 and consequently are down-regulated for LPS- and IgA-mediated activities. J. Immunol. 167:2651-2656, 2001.
- Kubagawa, H., Burrows, P.D. and Cooper, M.D.: A novel pair of immunoglobulin-like receptors (PIR) is expressed by B cells and myeloid cells. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 94:5261-5266, 1997.
- Monteiro, R.C., Hostoffer, R.W., Cooper, M.D., Bonner, J.R., Gartland, G.L., and Kubagawa, H.: Definition of IgA receptors on eosinophils and their enhanced expression in allergic individuals. J. Clin. Invest. 92:1681-1685, 1993.
- Kubagawa, H., Cooper, M.D., Carroll, A.J., and Burrows, P.D.: Light chain gene expression before heavy chain gene rearrangement in pre-B cells transformed by Epstein-Barr virus. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 86:2356-2360, 1989.
- Kubagawa, H., Mayumi, M., Crist, W.M., and Cooper, M.D.: Immunoglobulin heavy chain switching in pre-B leukemias. Nature 301:340-342, 1983.
- Kubagawa, H., Vogler, L.B., Capra, J.D., Conrad, M.E., Lawton, A.R., and Cooper, M.D.: Studies on the clonal origin of multiple myeloma: Use of individually specific (idiotype) antibodies to trace the oncogenic event to its earliest point of expression in B-cell differentiation. J. Exp. Med. 150:792-807, 1979.