Pitzer Lab Osteoarthritis ResearchProf. Dr. Max Löhning
Pitzer Lab Osteoarthritis Research
Prof. Dr. Max Löhning
CV and Key Publications
- Since 2015 University Professor (W3, permanent) and Head of Pitzer Laboratory of Osteoarthritis Research at Charité – Universitätsmedizin Berlin and DRFZ Berlin
- 2013 – 2014 Offer of W3 Professorship position and Head of Department of Immunology at Universitätsmedizin Greifswald; 2014 declined
- 2012 – 2015 University Professor (W2, permanent) of Experimental Immunology, Charité, Berlin
- 2006 – 2011 Lichtenberg Professor (W1) at Charité, funded by Volkswagen Foundation
- 2002 – 2006 Postdoctoral fellow with R.M. Zinkernagel and H. Hengartner at the Institute of Experimental Immunology, ETH and University Hospital Zurich, Switzerland, funded by Ernst Schering Foundation
- 2000 – 2002 Postdoctoral fellow with A. Radbruch at DRFZ Berlin
- 1999 – 2000 Research fellow with W.E. Paul at NIH, NIAID, Bethesda, MD, and with K.M. Murphy at Washington University-School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO, USA
- 1996 – 2000 PhD thesis as fellow of German National Academic Foundation at the Institute of Genetics, University of Cologne; 2000 Dr. rer. nat. (“very good, with distinction”)
- 1990 – 1996 Biology studies as fellow of German National Academic Foundation (Studienstiftung des deutschen Volkes) at the University of Mainz; 1996 Diploma (“with distinction”)
- Since 2017 Board member and Council member of Berlin-Brandenburg Academy of Sciences
- Since 2017 Spokesperson of the class Biological Sciences and Medicine of Berlin-Brandenburg Academy of Sciences (BBAW); 2014–2017 Vice-Spokesperson
- Since 2017 Board member of Deutsche Rheumastiftung of German Society for Rheumatology (DGRh)
- Since 2014 Founder and Board member of BIH Young Science at Berlin Institute of Health (BIH)
- 2013 – 2016 Head of the Integrated Research Training Group (iRTG, GRK) of Collaborative Research Center 650 (SFB 650) at Charité, Berlin
- Since 2012 Vice-Director of Research Center ImmunoSciences at Charité; 2006 Board member
- Since 2009 Board member of ZIBI Graduate School at Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin
- 2009 – 2016 Board member and Scientific Secretary (2009–2011) of SFB 650 at Charité
- Since 2007 Board member of the International Max Planck Research School for Infectious Diseases and Immunology (IMPRS-IDI), Berlin
- Since 2013 Member of Berlin-Brandenburg Academy of Sciences (BBAW)
- 2010 Georges-Köhler-Prize of the German Society for Immunology (DGfI)
- 2006 – 2015 Lichtenberg Professorship of Experimental Immunology at Charité funded by Volkswagen Foundation
- 2004 – 2009 Member of Die Junge Akademie (The German Young Academy) at the BBAW and the German National Academy of Sciences Leopoldina
- 2004 Robert-Koch-Postdoctoral-Prize of Robert Koch Foundation
- 2002 – 2004 Postdoctoral fellowship of Ernst Schering Foundation
- 2000 Avrion-Mitchison-Prize for Rheumatology of Ernst Schering Foundation
- 2000 Otto-Westphal-PhD-Prize of the German Society for Immunology
- 1993 – 2000 Diploma and PhD fellowships of the German National Academic Foundation
Third Party Funding
Selection from 2012 – ongoing
- 2019 – 2021 German Research Foundation (DFG), LO 1542/4-1: Dissection of cell-cell communication networks in chronic viral infection by kinetic immune-cell monitoring and mathematical modeling.
- 2016 – 2018 Swiss National Science Foundation (SNF), Sinergia grant CRSII3_160772: The alarmin interleukin-33 in infection, immunity and autoimmunity.
- 2015 – 2020 Willy Robert Pitzer Foundation, Pitzer Laboratory of Osteoarthritis Research.
- 2006 – 2015 Volkswagen Foundation, Lichtenberg Professorship of Experimental Immunology.
- 2013 – 2017 EU, FP7, Marie Curie Initial Training Network (ITN), Quantitative T Cell Immunology (QuanTI), TP 6: Cytokine memory in T cells.
- 2013 – 2016 DFG, SFB 650, Head of iRTG Suppression of unwanted immune responses.
- 2013 – 2016 DFG, SFB 650, TP 28: Suppression of autoreactive T cell responses by Th2 cells.
- 2013 – 2016 DFG, LO 1542/3-1: Transcriptional programming and re-programming of pro-inflam-matory T helper 1 cells.
- 2013 – 2015 BMBF, e:Bio – T-Sys, project WP 3 TP 5: Interplay of epigenetic and transcriptional imprinting of T helper cell fate.
- 2012 – 2014 DFG, Epigenetic signatures of memory T cells and their functional relevance. Joint project with A. Hamann, Charité Berlin.
- Peine, M., R.M. Marek & M. Löhning. 2016. IL-33 in T cell differentiation, function, and immune homeostasis. Trends Immunol. 37, 321-33.
- Bhattacharya, A., A.N. Hegazy, N. Deigendesch, L. Kosack, J. Cupovic, R.K. Kandasamy, A. Hildebrandt, D. Merkler, A.A. Kühl, … G. Superti-Furga, J. Colinge, B. Ludewig, M. Löhning* & A. Bergthaler*. 2015. Superoxide dismutase 1 protects hepatocytes from type I interferon-driven oxidative damage. Immunity 43, 974-86. )*Shared senior authors.
- Baumann, C., W.V. Bonilla, A. Fröhlich, C. Helmstetter, M. Peine, A.N. Hegazy, D.D. Pinschewer & M. Löhning. 2015. T-bet– and Stat4–dependent IL-33 receptor expression directly promotes antiviral Th1 cell responses. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 112, 4056-61.
- Helmstetter, C., M. Flossdorf, M. Peine, A. Kupz, J. Zhu, A.N. Hegazy, M.A. Duque-Correa, Q. Zhang, Y. Vainshtein, A. Radbruch, S.H. Kaufmann, W.E. Paul, T. Höfer & M. Löhning. 2015. Individual T helper cells have a quantitative cytokine memory. Immunity 42, 108-22.
- Schiering, C., T. Krausgruber, A. Chomka, A. Fröhlich, K. Adelmann, E.A. Wohlfert, A.N. Hegazy, O. Harrison, T. Griseri, J. Bollrath, M. Löhning, Y. Belkaid, P.G. Fallon & F. Powrie. 2014. The alarmin interleukin-33 promotes regulatory T cell function in the intestine. Nature 513, 564-8.
- Peine, M., S. Rausch, C. Helmstetter, A. Fröhlich, A.N. Hegazy, A.A. Kühl, C.G. Grevelding, T. Höfer, S. Hartmann & M. Löhning. 2013. Stable T bet+GATA-3+ Th1/Th2 hybrid cells arise in vivo, can develop directly from naive precursors, and limit immunopathologic inflammation. PLoS Biol. 11, e1001633.
- Bonilla, W.V., A. Fröhlich, K. Senn, S. Kallert, M. Fernandez, S. Johnson, M. Kreutzfeldt, A.N. Hegazy, C. Schrick, P.G. Fallon, R. Klemenz, S. Nakae, H. Adler, D. Merkler, M. Löhning* & D.D. Pinschewer*. 2012. The alarmin in-terleukin-33 drives protective antiviral CD8+ T cell responses. Science 335, 984-9. )*Shared senior & corresponding authors.
- Chu, V.T., A. Fröhlich, G. Steinhauser, T. Scheel, T. Roch, S. Fillatreau, J.J. Lee, M. Löhning & C. Berek. 2011. Eosinophils are required for the maintenance of plasma cells in the bone marrow. Nature Immunol. 12, 151-9.
- Hegazy, A.N., M. Peine, C. Helmstetter, I. Panse, A. Fröhlich, A. Bergthaler, L. Flatz, D.D. Pinschewer, A. Radbruch & M. Löhning. 2010. Interferons direct Th2 cell reprogramming to generate a stable GATA-3+T-bet+ cell subset with combined Th2 and Th1 cell functions. Immunity 32, 116-28.
- Löhning, M., A.N. Hegazy, D.D. Pinschewer, D. Busse, K.S. Lang, T. Höfer, A. Radbruch, R.M. Zinkernagel & H. Hengartner. 2008. Long-lived virus-reactive memory T cells generated from purified cytokine-secreting T helper type 1 and type 2 effectors. J. Exp. Med. 205, 53-61.