B-cell memoryProf. Dr. med. Thomas Dörner
Prof. Dr. med. Thomas Dörner
CV and Key Publications
- Since 2009 Professor „Innovative Therapies for Autoimmune Diseases“ at Charite and DRFZ
- Since 2006 Outpatient service “Coagulation disorders and autoimmune diseases”
- Since 2004 Head of Clinical Hemostaseology at Charite, Berlin
- 2004 – 2009 Senior consultant Clinical Hemostaseology, Institute of Transfusion Medicine and Immune Hematology, Charite
- 2004 Professor of Rheumatology/Head Rheumatology at Ludwig Maximilian University Munich
- 2000 – 2003 Head of Day Care Clinic Department of Medicine/Rheumatology and Clinical immunology at Charite Berlin
- 1998 – 2000 Senior Resident, Dept. Medicine/Rheumatology and Clinical Immunology, Charite
- Since 1998 Liaison Group Leader „Translation/B cell Memory“ at DRFZ, Berlin
Education and Board Certifications
- 2010 Board certification Transfusion Medicine (Berliner Ärztekammer)
- 2007 Board certification Hemostaseology (Berliner Ärztekammer)
- 2001 Certificate “Zusatzbezeichnung Bluttransfusionswesen” (Berliner Ärztekammer)
- 2000 Board certification Rheumatology (Berliner Ärztekammer)
- 1998 PD Dr. med. Habilitation, Rheumatology and Clinical Immunology, Humboldt University/ Charite Berlin
- 1996 – 1998 Post-Doc, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, TX. USA
funded through a Stipend by Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG)
- 1996 Board certification Internal medicine (Berliner Ärztekammer)
- 1991 Dr. med., Humboldt University/Charite Berlin
- 1990 Dipl. Med. Humboldt University/Charite Berlin
- 1990 Approbation
- 1990 Medical School Humboldt University/Charite Berlin
- Since 2016 Member of the Scientific Program Committee of EULAR
- 2019 Program Chair of EULAR
- 2018 Abstract Chair of EULAR
- Since 2009 Board member Rheumaliga Berlin e.V.
- Since 2009 Board member Wolgang Schultze Foundation Berlin
- Since 2011 Board member Berliner Gesellschaft für Innere Medizin (BGIM)
- Since 2013 Chair of the Laboratory Committee by the DGRh (German Rheumatology Society) and Member “Arbeitskreis Schwangerschaft (Pregnancy in rheumatic diseases)”
- Since 2009 Faculty member, Charite Universitätsmedizin Berlin, Germany
- 2004 Faculty member, Ludwig Maximilian University, Munich, Germany
- 2016 Advisor for the Research Council of Norway (RCN), Oslo, Norway
- Since 2014 Chair of the Scientific advisory committee of the MASTERPLAN program at the University of Manchester, UK
- Since 2010 Scientific Advisory Board, German League against Rheumatism, Bonn, Germany
- Since 2009 Advisor for projects and collaborative research programs to the MRC, London, UK
- Since 2008 Reviewer for the Swedish society of rheumatology
- Since 2006 Reviewer for the Dutch Arthritis Foundation
- 1998-2004 Member of the Kuratorium of the Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany
- 2010 Randy-Fischer Price by NIAMS, NIH, USA
- 2003 Wolfgang Schultze Price of the Stiftung Deutsche Rheumaliga e.V., Germany
- 2000 Rudolf-Schoen Price of the German Society of Rheumatology, Germany
- 1998 Senior Scholar Award of the ACR, USA
- 1990 Congress award by the German Research Foundation (DFG), Germany
Third Party Funding
- 2017-2021 H2020 funding within pan-European HarmonicSS
- 2017 – 2021 TRR130 Characterization of bone marrow plasma cell subsets
- 2017 – 2020 DFG projects Do491/9-1 “B cell functions in SLE” and Do491/7-3 “B cells and tissue”
- 2013 – 2016 Immunobone SPP (Do491/8-2) “Delineation of human plasma cell subsets and their bone marrow niche”
- 2012 – 2016 SFB650, subproject “New generation anti-B cell therapy”
- 2011 – 2015 1998 – 2007 SFB 633, subproject: “Characterization of human peripheral and intestinal T cell” SFB 421 subproject: “Role of the spleen in the induction and mainentance of reactive B cell memory”
Single project fundings by DFG throughout
- Fleischer SJ, Daridon C, Fleischer V, Lipsky PE, Dörner T (2016). Enhanced Tyrosine Phosphatase Activity Underlies Dysregulated B Cell Receptor Signaling and Promotes Survival of Human Lupus B Cells. Arthritis Rheumatol. 68, 1210-21.
- Mei,H.E., Wirries,I., Frolich,D., Brisslert,M., Giesecke,C., Grun,J.R., Alexander,T., Schmidt,S., Luda,K., Kuehl,A.A., Engelmann,R., Durr,M., Scheel,T., Bokarewa,M., Perka,C., Radbruch,A., and Dörner,T. (2015). A unique population of IgG-expressing plasma cells lacking CD19 is enriched in human bone marrow. Blood 125, 1739-1748.
- Schrezenmeier E, Jayne D, Dörner T (2018). Targeting B Cells and Plasma Cells in Glomerular Diseases: Translational Perspectives. J Am Soc Nephrol.; 29:741-758.
- Lisney AR, Szelinski F, Reiter K, Burmester GR, Rose T, Dörner T (2017). High maternal expression of SIGLEC1 on monocytes as a surrogate marker of a type I interferon signature is a risk factor for the development of autoimmune congenital heart block. Ann Rheum Dis.; 76:1476-1480.
- Mei,H.E., Yoshida,T., Sime,W., Hiepe,F., Thiele,K., Manz,R.A., Radbruch,A., and Dörner,T. (2009). Blood-borne human plasma cells in steady state are derived from mucosal immune responses. Blood 113, 2461-2469.
- Giesecke,C., Frolich,D., Reiter,K., Mei,H.E., Wirries,I., Kuhly,R., Killig,M., Glatzer,T., Stolzel,K., Perka,C., Lipsky,P.E., and Dörner,T. (2014). Tissue Distribution and Dependence of Responsive-ness of Human Antigen-Specific Memory B Cells. Journal of Immunology 192, 3091-3100.
- Shen,P., Roch,T., Lampropoulou,V., O’Connor,R.A., Stervbo,U., Hilgenberg,E., Ries,S., Dang,V.D., Jaimes,Y., Daridon,C., Li,R., Jouneau,L., … Grutzkau,A., Grun,J.R., Horn,K., Kuhl,A.A., Dörner,T., Bar-Or,A., Kaufmann,S.H.E., Anderton,S.M., and Fillatreau,S. (2014). IL-35-producing B cells are critical regulators of immunity during autoimmune and infectious diseases. Nature 507, 366-
- Wahren-Herlenius,M. and Dörner,T. (2013). Autoimmune Rheumatic Diseases 3. Immuno-pathogenic mechanisms of systemic autoimmune disease. Lancet 382, 819-831.
- Daridon,C., Loddenkemper,C., Spieckermann,S., Kuhl,A.A., Salama,A., Burmester,G.R., Lipsky, P.E., and Dörner,T. (2012). Splenic proliferative lymphoid nodules distinct from germinal centers are sites of autoantigen stimulation in immune thrombocytopenia. Blood 120, 5021-5031.
- Mei,H.E., Frolich,D., Giesecke,C., Loddenkemper,C., Reiter,K., Schmidt,S., Feist,E., Daridon,C., Tony,H.P., Radbruch,A., and Dörner,T. (2010). Steady-state generation of mucosal IgA(+) plasmablasts is not abrogated by B-cell depletion therapy with rituximab. Blood 116, 5181-5190.
- Giesecke C, Meyer T, Durek P, …, Thiel A, Radbruch A, Ullrich R, Dörner T. (2018) Simultaneous Presence of Non- and Highly Mutated Keyhole Limpet Hemocyanin (KLH)-Specific Plasmablasts Early after Primary KLH Immunization Suggests Cross-Reactive Memory B Cell Activation. J Immunol. ji1701728. doi: 10.4049/jimmunol.1701728. [Epub ahead of print]
- Dörner T, and Furie R. (2019). Novel paradigms in systemic lupus erythematosus. Lancet 93(10188):2344-2358.